Citizens are the people that live in your town. Together they form your population. You can see your town's current and maximum population by going into the Town hall view, as well as on the Main Menu of the User Interface. They work to produce goods and pay taxes to give you Gold — they are the heart of your town.
A "free" idle citizen increases your income by 3 per hour. A working citizen has no overall effect on your funds, but produces goods. However, a scientist decreases your income by 9 per hour ( -3 for the loss of a citizen and -6 for scientist ). A town with a growing population will therefore see rises in income if its citizens are not put to work immediately.
EmploymentSaw mill, Crystal mine, Vineyard, Quarry, and Sulphur pit. At the base rate, one citizen can produce 1 per hour or 1 Luxury Good per hour.
Establishing a new colony requires sending 40 to as its initial population.
A local Tavern or Museum can raise the happiness of the town it is built in. A high growth rate leads to the maximum number of citizens quicker, allowing you to gather more resources per hour at a faster pace, which is highly desirable. However, this can be quite costly.
The maximum number of citizens at any one time is limited by the number of Housing Spaces which increases with each level of the Town hall. It can be calculated using formula
- The following researches also affect your population
- Well Digging increases the max population and happiness in the Capital only by 50 points.
- Holiday increases the happiness in all towns by 25 points.
It also increases the max population in all towns by 50 points.
- Utopia increases the max population and the happiness in the Capital only by 200 points.
- Economic Futures increase the happiness in all towns by 10 points for every level researched.
They also increase the max population in all towns by 20 points for every level researched.